Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Intervals!

For the first time in my life, I've completed a interval workout the way that it was meant to be ran. I was planning on doing a ladder workout. I planned on  running 1 mile at tempo pace, then 0.75, 0.5 and 0.25 while increasing speed.
Mile 1 - 8:33min/mile (my exact temp pace according to a vdot calculator I found online)
0.75 mile - 8:16min/mile
0.5 mile - 8:10min/mile
0.25 mile - 7:00min/mile

I thought I would decrease by 10 seconds. For the last 0.25 miles, I gave it all I had. I was surprised that I was able to run so fast despite the fatigued. With the warm up, cooldown, and jogging rests between the intervals, I ran a nice 5 miles. It felt great!

Now for some backtracking. I took Sunday after the race off to give myself time to recover. Monday, I ran an easy 3 miles. Tuesday, I went swimming with a friend for 30 minutes. I only made it to 1000 yards. I can't swim well enough to get a good workout. If it didn't look so ridiculous, I would try the underwater running.

Hopefully, I can hit my tempo paces and my long run mileage later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment