Saturday, June 18, 2011

Demotivated

Lately, I haven't had much motivation for running other than visiting home at the end of summer where I get to run by the beach. I plan on doing the 5K, but I still am not signed up for it and a 5K isn't proving to be a much of a motivation. Probably because I know that if I had to, I can get off of my couch right now to run/job 3.1 miles. Additionally, I've had sort of a lack of energy, maybe because other than today, I've been trying to go to the treadmill for my runs. Despite having no hills, I find treadmill running very discouraging. It always seems like I need to expand more energy for the same distance and speed. Whatever the reason, this whole week probably will be my lowest milege yet. :( I've only gotten in 6 miles this whole week. I ran 3.5 miles the Tuesday, first day on the treadmill. Wednesday was supposed to be a tempo run, but I think I set the tempo pace too high. After 2.5 miles of majority warm up miles and only a few minutes of the tempo, I was done and I shut off the treadmill before I fell off. Thursday wasn't any better. After a long day at work, I headed over to the treadmill, and before I even got to a mile, I stopped. Friday was supposed to be my rest day, so I took off Friday too.

And now that brings me to today, where I headed out for a brief 0.5 miles and stopped. At least, this was outside and the breeze was nice even if I felt like a loser for giving up. One thing that did contribute to my lack of running today is that my garmin wasn't able to catch a signal. That's been happening a lot lately, maybe it's time to retire my garmin. As a person obsessed with numbers in my runs, this is a disaster. But maybe it'll make me run slower? It's the opposite of my ultimate goal, but I think I should start doing my easy runs way slower for me to really enjoy the sights and just the feel of my legs moving.

I'm going to end with a happier note, since it's a sunny Saturday morning and I don't want to be too down on myself. I think I might change my training plan in hopes of running a half marathon at the end of summer. 13.1 miles seem totally doable, but at the same time, I can't just run a 13.1 miles on a whim. And I love distance. I like to just steadily chug along. I think I might sign up for the Turning Stone Half Marathon.

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. It's so easy to get demotivated... but I'm glad you got to run at least 0.5 miles outside!! I love, love, love running outside. Treadmills are the worst. If you fall on one while running fast and wearing shorts, you will still have scars on your knees 8 years later (yes, I do know that from experience lol).

    If you choose to do a half marathon, you can do it!! Whatever you think will motivate you the best :)

    ReplyDelete